Hello and thanks for stopping by!! My name is Michelle Lunn and I am livin' the photographer's dream in the Midwest! In a nutshell, I am....a wife to my best friend. Mother to my baby boy, who brings me more joy than I ever thought possible. Coffee Addict. Traveler. Christian. Photographer. Sister. Artist. Girly Girl. Lover. Auntie Shelly.

MichelleLunnPhotography.com

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Joggin' for Johnny's Noggin

“Because everyone knows someone with cancer,” that’s what they tell us. Not me. That phrase would go in one ear and out the other, because for so long I knew of no one with cancer. For 24 years, I walked through life oblivious of the anguish one goes through when a loved one is battling cancer.

I was sitting at a stoplight at the intersection of Business Loop 70 and Old 63 when my phone rang. It was Adam calling on his drive home from work. I could tell in his voice something was not right. Whatever it was he was about to tell me was not going to be good news. He uttered the words, “Uncle Johnny is in the hospital with a cancerous brain tumor.” My heart literally hurt.

Uncle Johnny is the oldest of seven brothers and sisters. Seven brothers and sisters who are closer than I ever imagined siblings could be. Seven brothers and sisters who find a holiday in “Thanksgiving Eve” to give them one more day out of the year to all get together and celebrate. Seven brothers and sisters whose parents instilled in them the value of family, and the true meaning of love.

I didn’t stay on the phone long for fear he would hear the crackling in my voice. Tears began to pour, and the harder I tried to stop, the faster they continued to roll down my cheeks. I knew I couldn’t stay sad for long. I have to stay strong for Adam. I have to stay strong for his family. I am the newest addition to the “Holzer Clan”, and I needed to keep it together. As days passed, Uncle Johnny was released from the hospital to start his journey. He would be faced with difficult days ahead involving radiation, chemo, hospital visits, and a search for answers, why me? Why now?

But he didn’t stay down for long. Uncle Johnny realized there was one order of business he needed to take care of. He didn’t go out and buy a Harley. He didn’t jump out of an airplane. He didn’t buy a first class ticket to Rome. He stayed right there in St. Louis, where he spent many hours talking to my father in law about…and I quote… “this eternal life stuff.” He questioned and he listened. He searched and he prayed. And by the grace of God, Uncle Johnny accepted Christ into his life.

Seriously though, can I get an amen!

So in a time of upset, Uncle Johnny has found a reason to celebrate. He considers himself blessed, because prior to his diagnosis, he did not know the Lord. He knows when his time comes where he is going, and that my friends, is reason for all of us to be happy!

For this reason, my sister in law Amy has spent hours upon hours getting a team together for this year’s Head for the Cure, to honor and celebrate with Uncle Johnny. Head for the Cure is a 5K in which individuals participate and raise money to support research for brain cancer. Amy put a lot of hard work into the event and with a total of 41 team members on race day, Joggin’ for Johnny’s Noggin was a success! It was so cool to see so many people gathered in one area for a good cause. I took pictures of runners and walkers as they passed by, everyone with something in common. Every team name and every shirt had a story of its own to tell.

It was a beautiful day in every sense of the word...and here are some shots from Head for the Cure 2010!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank you Amy for getting us all involved in this race and for all of your hard work!
Thank you friends and Family for participating and for all of the love and support shared!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the post Shell!!!! Thank you so much for being our awesome photographer and awesome newest member of the Holzer Clan!!! :)

    LOVE YOU!!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are inspiring! Looks like you guys had a great time. Wish I could've been there! Love ya!
    Tedra

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. I clicked on a picture and was able to see them all. The one of your Dad is really good. Great the way you told the story behind the pictures. Yes, it made me cry!
    Love,
    Your favorite mother in law

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the story and amazing pictures! I know my dad loves all of the time we're spending together and I have to say I do too! Hope to see everyone Sunday at their house.
    Love -
    Beth

    ReplyDelete